Have you ever purchased a cat hairbrush, but you notice that it is not doing as good a job as you hoped? I think we have all bought that product for our cats that had everything you ever dreamed about for your cats on the box, only to be let down when you bring it home and put it to use.
We have viewed our share of these products and brushes for our cats and wanted to give you something helpful in choosing the correct brush for your cat. The cat brushes we have here are broken down with details on what type of cat they are made for and what they should be used for.
With this guide, we will help you choose the best cat brush for your grooming needs and provide you with a selection to choose from.
Top 7 Best Cat Hair Brushes Reviewed
1. Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush – Gently Removes Loose Undercoat Mats and Tangled Hair – Your Dog or Cat Will Love Being Brushed with The Grooming Brush…click image to see more on Amazon Hertzko is the best cat hairbrush. The bristles are FINE bent wires designed to penetrate DEEP into the coat and are really able to groom the undercoat well without scratching your pet’s skin. Our brush grooms and massages for a healthy coat, increasing blood circulation and leaves your pet’s coat soft and shiny.See more on Amazon…
2. Pet Neat Pet Grooming Brush Effectively Reduces Shedding by Up to 95% Professional Deshedding Tool for Dogs and Cats…click image to see more on Amazon This cat hairbrush is a close runner-up for our best buy award. A durable shedding tool! This dog and cat comb is MADE TO LAST through long years of effortless pet grooming. Easy to use and to cause not a speck of discomfort, this grooming brush will put a wide smile on the lucky pet owner’s face. It will relieve their dog or cat from shedding, trimming pet grooming time to just 10 minutes. What more could you ask for?See more on Amazon…
3. LuxPal Pet Grooming Deshedding Gloves – Five Finger Shedding Combing Brush for Dogs Cats Horses – Easy and Painless – Removes Dander Tangles and Dirt – for Long Fur Coats – Size Small…click image to see more on Amazon High-quality materials make it easy to de-shed and detangle your animal’s hair. Rubber grooves work to remove loose hair, comb, and prevent shedding. Massaging bristles feel great on your pet’s delicate skin and make it an enjoyable experience for both of you. These grooming gloves effectively work for all types of animals and pets, including dogs, cats, rabbits, llamas, and even horses! This grooming tool was made for your furry friends! Including Persian cat British short air Main Coon Siamese Ragdoll Sphynx Abyssinian Bengal American Short Hair. Russian Blue Burmese Birman Siberian American Bobtail Himalayan Chartreux grooming glove brush comb hair remover. All in all, this is a great all-around cat hair brush for removing loose hair that you will no doubt find all sorts of uses for.See more on Amazon…
4. Pet Grooming Glove for Cat Dog nomoypet Gentle Deshedding Brush Glove with Self Cleaning Slicker Brush Efficient Pet Hair Remover Massage Mitt with Enhanced Five Finger Design Shedding Grooming Tool
5. [Upgrade Version] Pet Grooming Glove – Gentle Deshedding Brush Glove – Efficient Pet Hair Remover Mitt – Enhanced Five Finger Design – Perfect for Dog & Cat with Long & Short Fur – 1 Pair (BLUE)…click image to see more on Amazon If you enjoy removing loose hair, you will benefit from the DELOMO. Hair Remover: Perfect for long, short, and curly-haired dogs, cats, horses, and other pets, grooming the hair quickly, gently, and effectively; The shedding hair sticks to the glove, making it easy to peel and throw hair away; Bath Brush: Bathe the pets with this glove, which will clean the pet hair easily and give your pets a gentle massage without hurting their skin; Five finger design allows you to groom hard-to-reach places like tail or face; Skin-friendly: Free from any materials which could cause skin damage; Soft rubber ensure gentle massage and grooming without painful removing of fur or scratching the skin; One size fits all, it has an adjustable wrist strap for a comfortable fit; What You Get: 2 blue DELOMO pet gloves (1 left-hand and 1 right-hand; The left-hand glove is customized for left-hander) Many owners see the cat hair brushes perform for decades without requiring replacement. See more on Amazon…
6. STARROAD-TIM Pet Grooming Glove Hair Remover Brush Gentle Deshedding Efficient Pet Mitt Pet Massage Gloves Left & Right Hand Draw Dog Cat Horse Long Short Fur (1Pair Left & Right Hand (Blue))…click image to see more on Amazon Your hands and fingernails stay clean. One size fits all, perfect for long, short, and curly-haired dogs, cats, horses, bunnies, and other pets. Comes with an adjustable wrist strap for a comfortable fit. The back of the glove has a soft mesh design with good ventilation. These gloves are comfortable to wear. They can be used dry or wet.See more on Amazon…
7. Chirpy Pets Dog & Cat Brush for Shedding Best Long & Short Hair Pet Grooming Tool Reduces Dogs and Cats Shedding Hair by More Than 90% The Deshedding Tool…click image to see more on Amazon Remove up to 90% of shedding fur from your cat or dog within minutes with this cat & dog brush de-shedding tool. Made of 4-inch stainless steel, which is not sharp to protect your dog or cat’s skin. It comes with a protective cover to make it last longer. Attaches to comfortable and strong handle which won’t break. Read the product description below for best practices on how to use this brush safely.See more on Amazon…
Some brushes are made for different uses, so when used for specific jobs, most of these brushes seem like they do not work. The key is to know these brushes and their uses.
Some brushes are obvious as to what they should and shouldn’t be used for, but others can be more deceptive. For instance, a brush with one row of long metal bristles should not be used to remove shedding hair, just like a brush with many rows of short softer bristles should not be used to remove large knots.
The Task At Hand!
Now that you have decided to groom your cat, we will break down each brush and its use so you can find the one that is best for the task at hand. The first step to choosing the correct cat brush is understanding what you are trying to accomplish with your cat’s coat.
We feel this is always the first step because being prepared is always the step you never want to skip. Skipping this step would be like buying your cat’s food dishes without ever buying them food. So always know the task you are looking to accomplish before selecting the brush you will use.
The following guide to cat brushes and their uses is what you are looking to accomplish. This guide has been created to help you select the correct tool to complete the job at hand. Our cats can feel just like we can, and that’s why selecting the correct brush is so important so that you will not hurt your cat during this process.
De-shedding Cat Brushes
De-shedding cat brushes are the most common type of brush found today, and generally speaking, when most of us think of a cat brush, this is the type we think about. This brush type has many rows of bristles that are thin, short, and soft.
Each bristle is strong enough to reach your cat’s skin but soft enough not to dig into it. Just because they are a softer bristle type, this does not mean you should apply a tremendous amount of pressure when grooming your cat because it is not needed. A small amount of pressure will be enough to remove the shedding fur from your cat.
The De-shedding cat hair brush is used for general grooming and the removal of shedding cat hair. You can typically find this brush with plastic and metal bristles positioned closely together and are both great choices for removing the shedding hair.
De-shedding brushes can be used on short and long-haired cats; however, they are best to use on your short-haired cat. This type of brush is the best cat brush to use daily on your cat and is typically the safest.
Knot And Mat Removing Cat Brushes
Knot and mat-removing cat brushes are recognized by their bristle’s positioning. You can tell knot and mat removing brushes apart from De-shedding brushes because they have bristles that are further apart from each other and generally will only have one or two rows of bristles.
The bristles on this brush are a harder type of bristle made out of metal or hard plastic. These bristles are also usually thicker than the De-shedding cat brush bristles. The bristles on these types of brushes are made the way they are, so they do not catch and rip out your cat’s hair due to knots and mats.
De-shedding brushes should not be used for this purpose because they will catch on the knots and mats and rip out your cat’s hair. However, a knot and mat-removing cat brush will untangle these problem areas and allow you to use a De-shedding cat brush to completely remove them after they are broken down without hurting your cat by ripping out its fur.
This type of brush is suitable for short and long-haired cats but should be used carefully on short-haired cats to harm their body under their fur.
Any brush for a cat you find can typically be grouped into one of these two categories. While there are all different shapes, sizes, forms, and variants of these brushes, knowing the difference between the two categories listed above will have you choosing the correct brush every time without any worries of harming your cat.
Below we have listed some of the different types of brushes that are harder to identify using the categories listed above.
Rubber Cat Brushes
Rubber cat brushes are another type of brush that is typically used for washing your cat. These brushes are great because they have rubber bristles that will not harm your cat in the bath while they are wet and moving rapidly.
Rubber brushes will help you wash your cat’s fur and skin with ease and without the fear of harming them with the hard brushes bristles. Another aspect that makes these brushes great for washing your cat is that they are made completely out of rubber, giving you a sure grip on them even with soapy hands.
If this brush is dropped, it will not hurt your cat if it accidentally hit them. This brush will also not break if dropped, and your cat can not ruin the brush with its teeth or claws. So overall, this is the brush to use when bathing your cat during their grooming.
During your shopping, you are sure to come across cat brushes that look like combs. The cat comb is another brush that can be identified by its bristles. However, you will only have one row of bristles to identify their use by.
You will find that De-shedding cat combs have bristles closer together, thin, and shorter. Knot and mat-removing cat combs will have bristles that are thicker, longer, and wider apart.
It would be best always to be careful when using a cat comb because you do not want to harm your cat’s skin while grooming them, but they are still a great choice when used correctly.
The Cat Flea Comb
A comb that is not mentioned often, because the nature you have to use this comb is not positive, is the Cat Flea Comb. The Cat Flea comb is usually made with a small metal or plastic bristles that are very close together and generally are a harder bristle. This type of comb is used when removing fleas from your cat’s coat.
Fleas are pests that get into your cat’s fur and bite and feed off your cat’s blood. These pests are very uncomfortable for your cat, and the flea comb helps remove these unwanted pests.
When removing fleas with a flea comb, it’s best to have a place to discard the fleas after they are removed not to run throughout your home. The way this comb is used is firmly but not enough to hurt your cat, combing to the skin and sliding the comb down your cat’s fur.
After the comb is removed from the fur, there will typically be fleas on it, and at this point, you want to have a place to get rid of them permanently. Unfortunately, most cats get fleas at one time or another in their lives, and this type of comb is a great one to have on hand!
Cat Brush Gloves
One of the newest cat brushes on the market today is the cat brush glove. It may seem obvious what this glove is, but we still want to state that it is a glove with bristles on the palm and finger portion of the glove that allow you to brush your cat.
This brush is a great choice for any cat because they come with various bristle types and lengths. If you choose this type of brush glove, be sure to look at the bristles on the glove to determine if it aligns with the task you are looking to complete.
The Brush That’s Best For Your Cat!
Overall when choosing the correct cat hairbrush, you want to mostly look at the type of bristles the brush has to make sure it is the one that will best suit the cat fur situation at hand. You also want to care in choosing a brush that will not hurt your cat but will make them feel better because their fur is well cared for.
A cat brush’s overall goal is to remove unwanted hair so that our cats are healthy and comfortable. It is also to remove hair that we do not want all over our house but more so for your cat than it is for you. So make sure to choose the brush that will help them the most, not the one that will help you the most.
How do I choose a brush for my cat?
For brushing short-haired pets, choose a brush with a small distance between the teeth. If your cat has a particularly rough coat, choose a brush with a stiff bristle tip instead of a wire brush. Cats with short, thick coats especially benefit from brushing with a good cat brush.
Should I brush my cat’s hair?
Yes, you should brush your cat’s hair. Brushing your cat not only removes dirt, grease, and dead hair from the coat but also improves the overall condition of the skin by removing dandruff and promoting circulation.
When should I brush my cat?
It would be best if you brushed your cat when he is relaxed, perhaps before bedtime. The best way to remove dead hair is to brush first against hair growth direction and then in the direction of hair growth. Clean excess hair frequently to prevent knots and clumps from forming.
How can I reduce cat hair at home?
The best way to reduce cat hair at home is to brush your cat regularly. This reduces hair loss in cats and removes the hair before it falls out. You can also reduce cat hair in the home by bathing your cat at least once a month. Other things that can reduce cat hair in the house are changing their diet and keeping them hydrated, which cat water fountains tend to help.