Cats get most of the water they need each day from their food. Even dry cat food contains about 10% water, which cats have become very efficient at absorbing. Even so, water from dry and wet food alone is not enough; they need more.
This is where water bowls and cat water fountains come into play. When your cat’s body tells them that they need more water, they will go over and drink until their need is met. If they don’t meet their need, this is where problems can arise.
Top 10 Best Cat Water Fountains Reviewed
1. Cat Water Fountain Stainless Steel 81oz/2.4L Intelligent Pump with LED Indicator for Water Shortage Alert Water Level Window…click image to see more on Amazon The Pet Fountain Kit comes with a stainless steel top, three carbon filters, one sponge filter, two brushes for cleaning the inlet pipe and motor cavity, and one mat. The top pet fountain is made of stainless steel and has an LED light that illuminates the room at night. Recirculating filtration system employs a replaceable circular carbon filter to purify the water and remove dirt and food particles. When the water level falls below a certain level, the light turns red, and the pump shuts down automatically. Hydration can aid in the prevention of urinary and kidney disease in pets. The water fountain encourages your pet to drink by forcing air into the water from all directions, adding oxygen and freshness. The Wonder Creature Pet Fountain is easy to assemble, disassemble, clean, and maintain.See more on Amazon…
2. Veken Pet Fountain 84oz/2.5L Automatic Cat Water Fountain Dog Water Dispenser with 3 Replacement Filters & 1 Silicone Mat for Cats Dogs Multiple Pets…click image to see more on Amazon The Veken Pet Fountain has a water capacity of 2.5L, which makes it perfect for small to medium-sized pets. The triple-action filtration system with water-softening features ensures safer, cleaner, and fresher drinking water. Studies show that pets prefer water from running water because they can detect it with their keen sense of hearing. The fountain has three modes, so it’s easy to find the best option for your pet. The Vekan Pet Fountain also comes with a silicone feeding mat to help protect your floors from accidental spills. It is made of quality PP resin, is BPA free and is long-lasting. With sound measuring below 40dB, the Vekens pump is ultra-quiet and long-lasting. The water is as clean as possible and will help keep your pet healthier and better hydrated. It comes with three modes to suit your pet’s size and can be cleaned with soap and warm water to extend the life of the fountain. It has a compact design, so it doesn’t take up too much space. It’s easy for you to install and clean, making life easier for you and your dog.See more on Amazon…
3. Comsmart Cat Water Fountain 81oz/2.4L LED Pet Fountain Stainless Steel Automatic Drinking Water Dispenser for Cats Dogs Other Pets…click image to see more on Amazon The pet water fountain is made of food-grade material, BPA-free PP resin, 304 stainless steel modern tray, which is safer than a plastic cat fountain. Three extra replacement filters were equipped to keep the water fresh and meets human health standards. The free-falling stream than still water in a regular water bowl is more attractive to your pets. There are three different flow modes: flower waterfall, flower bubble, and gentle fountain. It has a 2.4 Liters large capacity but compact fountain body, which means it takes up less space but can hold more water. It is designed with unique motor technology, Ultra Quiet (below 40dB)See more on Amazon…
4. iPettie Tritone Ceramic Pet Drinking Fountain丨Ultra Quiet Way Better Than Plastic丨Water Fountains for Cats and Dogs Pet Water Dispenser with Replacement Filters and Foam…click image to see more on Amazon The IP68 waterproof pump runs with 2W low consumption. Mechanical filtration with a foam filter surrounding the pump prevents the pet’s hair and other debris from the pump and the tank. Chemical filTration with carbon and charcoal helps to remove bad odors and tastes. Large Capacity: With 71oz / 2.1L capacity, this water fountain can provide enough water for a pet to drink for 2 weeks or above. Great for short trip lovers, as you will be free from frequent water replenishment.See more on Amazon…
5. PETKIT Cat Water Fountain 68oz/2L Automatic Pet Water Fountain with Auto Shut-Off Pump LED Indicator Light Water Level Window Ultra-Quiet Quadruple Filtration for Cats Dogs Multiple Pets…click image to see more on Amazon Eversweet 2S includes a water level window, and it offers a better view to monitor the overall water consumption of your pet. Smart LED Indicator LightEmbedded Intelligent LED lights can easily remind you of the water dispenser’s working status. It will indicate water shortage and remind you when you need to replace the filter. Quadruple Filtration System provides healthy, fresh, and oxygen-enriched water for your cats, dogs, and small animals: ultra-Quiet and Auto Power off Pump. The pump is ultra-quiet (measured below 30dB) and has low energy consumption, which gives you and your pets 100% sweet sleep.See more on Amazon…
6. NPET Cat Water Fountain WF050TP 1.5L Automatic Pet Drinking Fountain with Replacement Faucet Kit…click image to see more on Amazon NPET is a new brand that focuses on high-quality pet products and is committed to providing your pets with a healthier life. Three water modes can meet different pet requirements. Ultra Silent Pump is super quiet, which measured below 40dB. Low consumption and easy to clean: the pump is detachable and replaceable. Circulating Filtration System provides healthy and fresh water to your pet. 3 layers filter: Sponge could catch cats hair and debris, the ion exchange resin layer could soften the tap water, the third activated carbon layer could remove bad taste and odor. 200ml capacity of storage water bowl can last few days in case of a power outage. Full Transparent design reminds you to clean and replenish water in time. The quadruple filtration system provides healthy, fresh water for your pet. The water bowl is suitable for most cats and small dogs, no need to replenish the water frequently.See more on Amazon…
7. Bonve Pet Water Fountain for Cats Dogs Dispenser Indoor Inside 2.5L Automatic Kitty Water Bowl Drinkwell Flower Waterer with 3 Replacement Filters…click image to see more on Amazon Bonve Pet cat water fountain comes with 3 high-quality cotton carbon filters to filter hair, dirt particles, remove sediment and odor from water. 360 drinking surface design, ideal for homes with multiple pets. The eco-friendly design ensures your pets have fresh water 24 hours a day. Easy to clean and maintenance is recommended. You won’t worry about the quality of your pets’ drinking water while you’re away from home. The pump also has a low power consumption of 2 watts safely. The water fountain can be dismantled for deeper cleaning.See more on Amazon…
8. Kastty Cat Water Fountains Pet Water Fountain Whisper Quiet 3L/101oz Kitty Water Fountains Water Bowl Drinking Fountain for Cats Cat Water Dispenser with LED Light1 Cat Waterer Filter…click image to see more on Amazon This pet fountain has 2 modes: flower waterfall and gentle fountain – each mode meets the needs of various pets. The LED light will change from blue to red when the water is less than 650ml, reminding you to refill the water fountain. The free-falling stream and bright color attract pets to drink more water! The circulation system helps provide healthy and hygienic water for your beloved pets all day. The 3L / 101oz water capacity is great for small to medium-sized pets, and the large water tank can last for 2 weeks. No worries about your pet’s drinking problem when you are on a business trip.See more on Amazon…
9. Upgraded Cat Water Fountain 2L Automatic Pet Water Dispenser Dog Drinking Fountain with Detachable Water Tank Indicator and Night Mode for Cats Dogs Multiple Pets
10. ORSDA Cat Water Fountain Stainless Steel Pet Fountain Dog Water Dispenser 67oz / 2L Ultra-Quiet Automatic Cat Drinking Fountains with 6 Replacement Filters & 1 Silicone Mat for Cats Small Dogs
Dehydration in Cats
Dehydration in cats is a real thing! Just like people, cats have needs, and one of their most important needs is water. Almost two-thirds of a cat’s entire body is made up of water, and it needs to be replenished when it gets low.
That being said, there’s no need to panic. There’s a good chance your cat is not dehydrated. If they are dehydrated, there are some simple ways you can find out. If you lift the skin on the back of their neck, it should almost immediately return to where it was before. If it does, they are fine! If not, it might be best to consult with a veterinarian.
Now that we’ve got that out of the way, there are some things you can do to make sure your cat is getting the amount of water they need daily.
Keeping Your Kitty Hydrated
Believe it or not, your cat will get most of the water they need each day from their food. As we stated before, dry food is about 10% water, and wet food is almost 80% water. So these two types of food alone will leave your cat needing very little water.
When your cat absorbs the water from their food, they won’t need to drink much, but they’ll still need a little. Therefore, a cat should have a water source readily available to them throughout the day so they can top off their water intake. Proper hydration can accomplish this with a simple bowl of water.
While a bowl of water is great, some cats don’t like to drink a stagnant bowl of warm water that’s been sitting all day. This is why you’ll find them at the faucet or even in the shower licking up the dripping water. It’s also why your cat might come running every time you turn on the faucet.
Cats are naturally attracted to running water. This might be because before cats became domesticated, they were used to getting the water they needed from rivers and streams in the wild. Or it could just be because they like cold fresh water over stagnant, warm water!
Either way, cat fountains are the solution to this problem. They keep the water in their bowls circulating, keeping it fresher, and the fountain simulates running water like a river, stream, or your kitchen sink’s faucet. They also have filters to keep out hair, dirt, bacteria, and other things floating around that might fall into it throughout the day, so your cat doesn’t drink them.
Choosing The Right Cat Water Fountain
Like everything else, there are different choices when it comes to finding the cat water fountain that’s best for your cat. Each one is designed differently and can offer different benefits for you and your kitty. That’s why we’ve created a guide for you to help make your decision easier.
Not only are there different choices for choosing a fountain over a water bowl, but there are some other reasons why you might need to try out something different. For example, your cat may have stopped using their traditional water bowl altogether because it might be in a bad location. The water may not be fresh enough, or they might already be getting water from a running water source.
Style and Type
Each fountain comes in different types and styles. Some are the style of a fountain that emulates a waterfall or faucet. Some styles emulate spring fountains where the water flows up from the bottom and gently flows out like a natural spring.
Most of the other styles of fountains are variations in the waterfall and spring styles. Some waterfall-type variations have the water falling down a slide and are good mainly to reduce the water’s noise.
Other styles have the water rolling over or out of one or multiple spouts, creating a light stream similar to the spring type. A benefit of having this type of fountain is that your cat will hear the water and be drawn to it if they don’t realize it’s there.
Overall there isn’t a choice of the type or style that’s better than the other when it comes to performance. Instead, the choice will be how the water sounds differ and whether you and your cat prefer or would rather not have.
Size and Material
Two of the most important choices you’ll have will be the fountain’s size and what it is made out of. While the size of it is important, the material is the key point to look at. Some materials hold bacteria more than others and, over time, will build up and need to be cleaned.
You won’t find a fountain that doesn’t ever need to be cleaned, but you can choose one that will be easier to clean and maintain. Plastic will hold more bacteria than stainless steel, but the difference you’ll notice between the two won’t be very noticeable. Even so, it’s better to go with stainless steel when you can because it will reduce the amount of bacteria buildup over time.
On the other hand, there aren’t many good stainless steel options out there, so you may have to settle for plastic. If you choose one made of plastic, make sure you keep it nice a clean, and you’ll be set.
When it comes to size, the things to remember here are the number of times you’ll need to refill the fountain to keep it running smoothly. Not only will your kitty be drinking the water, but some will be evaporating as well. You always want to keep it as full as possible because the motor will have more stress and burnout. The bottom line is always to keep your fountain filled and clean to keep that motor running.
Filtration and Cleaning
When it comes to keeping your fountain clean, there are a few ways to clean it and keep it clean. First, it will need to be cleaned. Second, it will need filter replacements to keep the water clean also. The filter will do its part to help you out by cleaning the water in between cleanings.
To clean your fountain, you will need to disassemble it and wash it either by hand, or you can put it in the dishwasher as long as it’s dishwasher safe. Most are easy to clean and disassemble, and some even come with or have cleaning kits available to purchase.
While your fountain is running, it’s always cleaning the water of hair, dirt, and bacteria that fall into it throughout the day. So when it comes time to clean it, you’ll always want to make sure it is completely clean of hair and dirt inside and out to keep it from clogging the motor and burning it out. As suggested on the packaging, staying ahead of the curve and replacing the filters regularly will go a long way in keeping the fountain clean and running smoothly.
Setup For Success
Once you have all of your ducks in a row and your new fountain is on its way or has arrived, you’ll want to set it up for success. If your cat hasn’t been drinking from the water bowl, you provided them. However, there are some things you can do to make sure they get their water intake.
If you’ve had their water dish by their food, you can try moving it to an alternate position. We suggest you try to keep the fountain by their dish at first, but if that doesn’t work, then you can try moving it to the other side of the room away from their food. Some cats are picky about having their dish close to anything else.
Another quick tip is to keep the water fountain away from their litter. Typically cats do not like to eat or drink anywhere near where they do their business. So keeping their food and water away from their litter box will keep their minds on what they’re doing and not what they’ll be doing.
Cat fountains are made with the sole purpose of giving your cat a place to drink clean, fresh water. They are made to help cat owners give their cats the best chance never to become dehydrated and stay healthy. If you find that your cat was drinking out of a water bowl and now they no longer wish to drink out of a fountain, it’s always in your interest to do what’s best for your cat. After all, their well-being is our main priority, and we shouldn’t put them in a position to get harmed if it can be avoided.
PetSafe Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain
The PetSafe Original and Platinum Drinkwell fountains are some of the most used fountains on the market. They not only provide your cat with fresh filtered water, but they look nice while doing it. This is a great example of a waterfall style that gives you a nice water stream falling into the reservoir.
The overall water capacity of the tank and reservoir is 168 ounces of water. This means you will not have to refill it as much because a tank in the back will fill the water bowl up when it gets down to a certain point.
It comes with a carbon water filter that will filter out most hair, bacteria, dirt, and anything else that might get into the water bowl. The water filter is replaceable, and replacements are sold separately so that you can swap them out at the recommended time.
It’s made of BPA-free plastic and can be washed by hand or in the dishwasher on the top shelf. The key to keeping it running is to keep water above the marked point and keep it clean. This is a great option for cat owners.
Cat Mate Cat Fountain
The Cat Mate Cat Fountain is another great choice and favorite among cat owners. It’s a good example of a waterfall-type fountain with a slide for the water to fall, keeping the splashing and water noises down.
This fountain has a total water capacity of 70 ounces water. This is smaller than most fountains with a water tank that will refill them, but it is still larger than your traditional water dish, and it gives your cat fresh, clean, circulating water all day. Not to mention it will need to be filled much less than a regular water dish will.
It comes with a polymer-carbon water filter to filter out anything that gets in the dish throughout the day. This filter can also be replaced when needed, and there are replacement filters available to purchase.
It is completely safe to wash it by hand or in the dishwasher. However, it is also made of plastic and will need to be cleaned and kept full to keep it running like the day you bought it.
Catit Flower Fountain
Catit has created one of the most unique and best-performing fountains on the market today. This fountain almost looks like a flower pot with a flower growing out of it that streams water. This is a great example of a spring-style fountain because the water comes up from the bottom and rolls over the flower or topsides.
One of the great features of this fountain is the ability to control the water flow when your cat does not like the flow of water at higher or lower rates. You can leave the fountain without the flower piece to have just a slow, flowing spring, or you can add the flower to get more of a faucet-like stream. You can also add the yellow part to the flower to make the streams more direct.
The reservoir holds 100 ounces of water, and it flows through filters to circulate clean, filtered water to the top where your cat can drink it. There is no dish to hold the water. That way, your cat will always get the cleanest water and not have to drink water that may not have made it fully through the cycle and filters. The filters are replaceable and can be purchased separately.
It is made out of BPA-free plastic and is dishwasher safe. So it can be hand washed or washed on the top rack of a dishwasher. The filters are also double filters that filter out water and soften it for crisp, clean water every time.
Oster Fresh Sips Less Stress Pet Fountain
The Fresh Sips Less Stress Pet Fountain by Oster is another great option for your cats. This is another example of a spring-style fountain with water that gets oxygenated and bubbles up to the surface for your cat to drink. It offers a continuous flow of water that’s constantly filtered to keep it fresh.
It comes with a reservoir capacity that is 60 ounces. The water is continuously filling the dish, then it spills over the containing lip and falls through the filter, filtering it and allowing it to be re-circulated to the spring-like flow. This gives your cat a constant, fresh source of water. The filters for this fountain are charcoal and are made with a double filtration system to filter out any impurities.
This fountain is also made with BPA-free plastic to keep your cat perfectly safe, healthy, and hydrated. It is safe to hand wash and is completely dishwasher safe. It is recommended that you wash it on the top shelf of the dishwasher and always keep it clean to get its best performance.
PetSafe Drinkwell 360 Stainless Steel Fountain
We wanted to include a stainless steel option for a fountain, and this is one of the best stainless steel fountains we could find. While some of the other fountains we have reviewed might be a better fit or choice, we wanted to leave this option up to you.
The Petsafe Drinkwell 360 is a spring-like fountain with 5 different stream options. They come in 5 different circular clips that clip on the spout to change the fountain’s stream and flow to make it ideal for any cat. It’s designed for 1 or multiple cats as it gives each pet 360-degree access to the water in the dish.
It comes with a replaceable carbon and foam filter to remove any hair, dirt, and debris that might make its way into the water dish. In addition, it comes with a 128-ounce reservoir capacity, so you won’t have to keep refilling it to keep it going.
It is completely hand-washable and dishwasher safe as long as it is washed on the top shelf. Overall this is a great choice if you are only looking for a stainless steel fountain.