You’re probably here because you want to find the best cat tree for your feline companion. Most people have no idea there are so many different types of cat trees, let alone choose the best one. We’re here to make that easy with a few suggestions that will get you on your way.
Finding the perfect tree for your cat can seem like a difficult task. After all, you wouldn’t want to spend hundreds of dollars on one with features made specifically for a tree dweller when you could spend hundreds less and get the one that’s best for your cat and their specific needs.
Amazon Basics, FEANDREA, Catry, and BEWISHOME make some of the best cat trees money can buy. Let’s take a look at some models they offer.
Top 10 Best Cat Trees Reviewed
1. FEANDREA Cat Tree Small Cat Tower Condo Scratching Post…click image to see more on Amazon 18.9″ x 12.6″ x 26.7″ cat tree is particularly suitable for small apartments where a petite cuddly cat is scurrying around. Cave, viewing platform, and lounger. Each cat has a different favorite activity on our scratching tree. High density supporting tubes can hold the platforms firmly without wobbling. Soft, fluffy cover made of hard-wearing plush. Stair-like levels for an easy ascent. padded viewing platform. Premium Particle Board. Made of compressed and glued cardboard. Robust Supporting Tubes.See more on Amazon…
2. Catry Cat Tree Hammock Bed with Natural Paper Rope Scratching Posts and Teasing Feather for Kitten (Version 2)…click image to see more on Amazon Made with Fleece and Paper Rope, stable material with Long Life, can keep great shape and provide your cat a cool place to rest. The Catry ranks high for performance, quality, and value. Perfect size for cats up to 10 lbs. All tools and instructions are included.See more on Amazon…
3. FEANDREA Cat Tree with Sisal-Covered Scratching Posts for Kitten UPCT50G…click image to see more on Amazon This cat tower has two 100% wrapped sisal posts for climbing and scratching fun. It’s a small but stable cat condo with high quality engineered wood and a reinforced base plate. It will be a great companion during your cat’s growth and will give them a sweet dream. FEANDREA provides professional customer service both before and after your purchase. Don’t wait any longer, build this cat tower for your feline friend today! See more on Amazon…
4. BEWISHOME Multi-Level Cat Tree Condo with Sisal Scratching Posts Perches Houses Hammock and Baskets Cat Tower Furniture Kitty Activity Center Kitten Play House MMJ05…click image to see more on Amazon This cat mansion also comes with a wall anchor strap to attach it to the wall for extra stability when you have multiple cats using it as an activity center. The multi level cat tower is composed of good quality plush material, which is very soft and comfortable. We recommend stepping up to the BEWISHOME cat tree if you need a cat tree that can reliably cat. All the hardware and tools are included; SIZE: 23.8L x 18.1D x 57.1H (60.5 x 46 x 145cm), perfect for large kitties/adult cats.See more on Amazon…
5. Amazon Basics Medium Cat Condo Activity Tree Tower with Scratching Post Toy – 16 x 16 x 31 Inches…click image to see more on Amazon This one is perfect for those who need a no-frills, not expensive cat tree at a great price. Round top platform with rim doubles as a cat bed. Made of MDF, carpet, paper tubes, and jute. Simple screw-together assemblyinstructions and tools included.See more on Amazon…
6. Furhaven Pet – Tiger Tough Tall Cat Tree Entertainment Playground Furniture for Cats & Kittens – Multiple Styles & Colors…click image to see more on Amazon The scratching posts are wrapped in sisal fiber, which carries the rough, bark-like texture of a tree to better satisfy your cat’s instinctual need to scratch. The platforms and condos are lined with plush faux fur that is luxuriously soft and gentle on both noses and paws for enhanced play and lounging comfort. The product comes with a 90-day limited coverage against material defects and may also qualify for their 60-Day Worry-Free Program.See more on Amazon…
7. FEANDREA 34.6 inches Cat Tree Medium Cat Tower with 3 Beds and House Cat Condo Sisal Post and Washable Faux Fur Vintage Rustic Brown and White UPCT70HW…click image to see more on Amazon Cuddly cushions made of white imitation fur are attached to the platforms and in the cottage with hook-and-loop fasteners. Easy to remove and easy to clean. FEANDREA provides you with professional customer service both before and after your purchase. No matter which place your cat chooses, the cat condo always offers the highest stability due to the stable engineered wood boards. Your cat can sharpen her claws to her hearts content on this and the small scratch matbetter than on your sofa, isnt it?See more on Amazon…
8. Amazon Basics Large Cat Condo Tree Tower with Scratching Post – 18 x 18 x 46 Inches Beige…click image to see more on Amazon Made of MDF, carpet, paper tubes, and jute. Simple screw-together assemblyinstructions and tools included. Measures 17.7 x 17. 7 x 45.9 inches (LxWxH) Amazon Basics cat tree is a favorite among cat owners..See more on Amazon…
9. PAWMONA 37″ 3 Story Cat Tree Condo Barrel Tower – Natural Sisal-Covered Scratch Barrel with Top High Edge Snuggle Bed – Machine Washable – Made in Georgia – Great Gift for Cat Lovers…click image to see more on Amazon Reviews are strong regarding PAWMONA. Plush bed on the top with high edges. Two connected dens (lower/middle) Perfect for playing, sleeping, and scratching.See more on Amazon…
10. Amazon Basics Cat Tree Tower With Perch Condo – 12 x 12 x 20 Inches Dark Brown…click image to see more on Amazon Independent tests gave it good marks. Multiple interactive elements allow your cat to relax, play, and climb. Natural jute fiber scratching posts help keep nails healthy.See more on Amazon…
By now, you’ve probably noticed your cat’s different personality type and have seen them hanging out in high places, low places, or somewhere in the middle.
We have labeled these cat types as the following,
- The Tree Dwelling Cat
- The Bush Dwelling Cat
- The Cave Dwelling Cat
- The Every Type Cat (all three combined)
With these cat types in mind, you’ll be able to determine what the perfect tree is for your kitty quickly.
Now we’ll go into further detail about each cat type to bring to light why all of this is important when you’re choosing a tree for your cat, one where they will be spending a lot of their time.
The Tree Dwelling Cat
The most commonly thought of cat type is the tree-dwelling cat. Tree dwellers are well known and depicted in magazines, movies, and television.
If you think about it, we have all seen that poster, picture, or commercial where a cat is stuck in a tree, and a firefighter is attempting to rescue them.
Cats are known to seek out trees for stalking and hunting prey because it’s in their nature. Instincts like these date back approximately 10 to 15 million years to their big cat ancestors, such as the cheetah or tiger.
Cats have reflexes that allow them to jump and land perfectly on their feet, even from significant heights. It’s our need to have them back safely in our arms and homes that prompts the rescuing. Now there are some specific cases where they need rescuing from trees, but it may not be why we think!
The tree dweller loves heights and climbing. They are also more comfortable in high places with some cover, similar to a tree’s leaves. Trees for this type of cat are designed to have different features to accommodate heights and coverage. When you’re looking for the best one for your tree dweller, you will want to make sure they have at least one high tower or multiple towers.
Each tower will have a cat bed or resting place; some will have multiple. A good feature to look for is a bed or resting place with a lip going around the outer edge. Not only is this going to provide your cat with the coverage they like, but it also protects them from falling off of it while they sleep.
For the tree-dwelling cat’s tree, you’ll want to make sure it has multiple height varying landings. Landings with various heights are great because most tree dwellers like the option of having different heights for them to perch on, similar to the branches of a tree. One specific reason for landings with various heights is to allow your cat to transfer landings when they feel like being higher up, lower to the ground, or somewhere in between.
For instance, you might notice your cat spending their time in high places like the top of your shelves and cabinets. You might also find them on top of the refrigerator or some other higher area of your house. These examples are the exact reason a tree with higher landings will be perfect for them. You can find a few examples of the trees a Tree Dwelling cat will like below.
The Bush Dwelling Cat
Another well-known cat type is the bush dweller. To give you an idea of what a bush dweller is, you might think about the Discovery Channel. In the programs about cats on this channel, you’ll find the lion or cheetah stalking their prey through the leaves of a bush, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. The example above is one of the best examples of the bush dwelling cat.
These cats are not just lucky; there happened to be a bush nearby when their prey came along. The bush dweller chooses fairly low to the ground places to dwell because they’re covered and can be up and running in an instant without ever being seen.
Even in a home environment, a bush dweller will find the places to rest where they’re covered somewhat but can be on the ground in a flash without a high leap or too much effort.
Bush Dwellers prefer medium height places and some coverage. An example where you might notice your cat as a bush dweller are those cats that like to rest on the arm of a couch, a bed corner, or tabletop.
You can even find bush dwellers in windows, behind curtains, and on top of coffee tables or countertops. While these places don’t provide much cover, they’re the perfect height for them, and it’s easy to reach the ground.
Give your bush dweller a proper place to spend their time instead of the places you don’t want them to. Some examples that bush dwellers will love can be found below.
The Cave Dwelling Cat
The cave-dweller is one of the cat types that many people may not be aware of. Until recently, this cat type was not thought about or was grouped in with the bush dweller when those two cat types have very different needs.
The cave-dweller now has some presence globally and is finally being recognized as a cat type, which means companies are producing products for them to enjoy, too, along with the other cat types.
Some good examples of cave dwellers are cats that typically spend a lot of their time hiding out under beds, in closets, and always trying to get into cabinets. If your cat is spending most of their time close to the ground and underneath things, chances are they may be a cave dweller.
Cave-dwelling cats prefer places that are low to the ground. They like darker, enclosed spaces and prefer to be somewhat hidden. Being a cave dweller is not a bad thing; it just means they prefer some privacy. If you never see your cat because they’re always hiding, here are a few suggestions that’ll have them out of hiding in no time.
By providing a cave dweller with the right tree for their cat type, you’ll give them a place to go when they want to be in a cave-like environment such as a cat condo. By positioning it in a place where you can be with them more often, not only will you find that your cat is around more often, but you’ll also find that you can be there for your cat and enjoy their company.
Your cat will appreciate you giving them their very own place in their home where they can hide and dwell. It’ll also show them you know what they like and help you build a stronger bond that makes them feel more comfortable around you. In turn, they will trust your decisions. Some good examples for cave dwellers are shown below.
The Every Type Cat
As we have said before, there is no such thing as a “cookie-cutter” cat or cat type. All cats are different and may even exhibit some qualities of all of the cat types we have mentioned. This is what we like to call every type of cat.
Another thing to consider is that some cats may even have two cat types mixed. In these cases, the best thing to do is to watch your cat and determine which two cat types they are showing most of the qualities of. That way, you can get them one that suits them best and one that they’ll use no matter what cat type they are.
Some examples of every type of cat can’t all be listed here. The reason they can’t all be listed here is that they’re every type of cat, which is a huge variety of examples to list.
Some things you may find in every type of cat are things such as your cat resting in high and low places, light and dark places, covered areas, and areas with not much coverage. This cat type will rest, play, and dwell just about anywhere. They can be outgoing at times and isolated at others.
The ideal tree for this type of cat has all of the features and qualities for every cat type. A tree with high towers and low landings or resting areas with medium height landings and covered areas for them to rest is great. On the other hand, this tree will also need to have open areas for them to relax.
Some examples for every type of cat are those at the top of the page and the examples shown below.
Now It’s Your Turn!
Cat types are straightforward to determine, and it’s done by watching your cat, watching what they do, and watching how they do it. You can find out what type of cat they are by simply understanding them and what they prefer to do.
While living with your cat, we know that people love to watch their cats. We tend to watch how they play, eat, and sleep, among other things. Generally, we even know where they love a good scratch or petting. If you find your cat liking some things and not others, you will want to move toward the things they like and avoid those they don’t.
Cats communicate with us through their actions, and we can all learn a lot about our cats by how they act and what they like and prefer. Just as we have our favorite spot on the couch, our cats can have a favorite spot of their own too! Provide your cat with a comfort zone suitable for them by using their distinguished cat type.
Our Mission and Experience…
Our mission is to provide you with the best experience possible so that you and your cats can enjoy yourselves in the comfort of your home. We have put together a place where you can locate all of the best products for your cats that will enhance their lives and yours so that you may enjoy your cats and so they can enjoy you.
We always have your cat’s best interests at heart and offer you our experience as cat owners with products they love and enjoy instead of products companies want you to buy, promising they will work.
Some of the products we feature are placed here because they have been used with our cats, and they are the safest and most effective. No longer do you have to browse thousands of places that just stuff product after product in your face without giving you experience that they work.
We have cats that we love just like you love your own and want only the best for them. Overall enjoy your time here and leave with something you can trust to make your loved one’s lives that much better.
We don’t claim to be experts on cats; however, we know cats and their cat types very well. After all, no cookie-cutter cat can be placed into a category with the rest because they are all unique with their personalities.
There is, however, one thing we do expect from you, and that’s for you not to take any words on a screen as true. We want you to use the products for yourself and find out the best cat tree or cat products for you and the special cat or cats in your life. There is no “one fits all” for cats, and you should find a balance that you’ll both love the same.